Wednesday, August 19, 2009

GET NAILED: LENNY DYKSTRA LOSES EVERYTHING

Lenny Dykstra filed for bankruptcy on July 7th, bringing a close to his brief stint as a financial guru.


After retiring from baseball, Nails went on to make a ton of money. He invested in a SoCal car wash chain that he later sold for millions, bought a mansion once owned by Wayne Gretzky, launched a glossy investing mag for pro athletes called The Players Club, and was featured on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel for his savvy business strategies. Dykstra even earned praise from long-time Phillies fan/wall street pundit Jim Cramer:




But then it all went to hell. You can read all the details in this article at The Smoking Gun.

I love Lenny Dykstra. I love that he beat the crap out of Rick Dempsey at home plate. I love that he batted .400 all the way into June in '91. I love that he always had a giant wad of tobacco in the corner of his mouth, and that he spit so much that he permanently stained the turf in centerfield at the Vet.

But a financial wizard? I had my doubts. This video in particular had me guessing. To this day, I still don't know what it's promoting:




Nevertheless, I wish the best for Nails. Hopefully he can pull himself out of this and come back to entertain the general public in some other way. I'd love to hear him in the booth, actually, but I doubt he'd be able to tone down the language for national broadcasts. But you never know with Dysktra, because he lives by the motto of the '93 Phils - Whatever It Takes Dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment

MLB STANDINGS

NFL STANDINGS